Sunday, October 20, 2013

Panic! At the Disco-This is Gospel



This is gospel for the fallen ones
Locked away in permanent slumber
Assembling their philosophies
From pieces of broken memories

Oh, this is the beat of my heart, this is the beat of my heart [x2]
The gnashing teeth and criminal tongues conspire against the odds
But they haven't seen the best of us yet

If you love me let me go
If you love me let me go
'Cause words are knives and often leave scars
The fear of falling apart
And truth be told, I never was yours
The fear, the fear of falling apart

Oh, this is the beat of my heart, this is the beat of my heart [x2]

Don't try to sleep through the end of the world
Bury me alive
'Cause I won't give up without a fight

If you love me let me go
If you love me let me go
'Cause words are knives and often leave scars
The fear of falling apart
And truth be told, I never was yours
The fear, the fear of falling apart

Oh, the fear of falling apart
Oh, the fear, the fear of falling apart

[x4]
Oh (This is the beat of my heart)
The fear of falling apart


Panic! at the Disco is an American rock band that formed in 2004.  I  found out about them in 2008 with "I Write Sins Not Tragedies", released in 2006.  I still listen to Panic! after five years because they are that amazing.  

"This is Gospel" is part of the album titled Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!, which will be released this October (the music video of "This is Gospel" was released on August 12th).  So far, the songs "This is Gospel" and "Miss Jackson" have been released.  

Some may interpret these lyrics to be about Ryan Ross and Jon Walker leaving the band, while other fans argue that the song is about how P!ATD has grown throughout the years and changed their style of music.  I don’t agree with either of these views.  Ross and Walker both left in 2009, and the song was finally released in 2013. 

If you look at the album as a whole, their new record is very much about the virtues of vice, being a fault, defect, or shortcoming.  Brendon Urie has stated in an interview that “This is Gospel” is basically about “trying to break free from the burdens that sit on your shoulders that you feel weigh you down at times”.  Because of this, I think the lyrics are about the difference between conforming and not conforming.  “This is gospel for the fallen ones/Locked away in permanent slumber” would refer to the dead who were deprived of liberty. Gospel is the belief of something or absolute truth.  “Assembling their philosophies/from pieces and broken memories” would refer to how they took their examples from the past and questioned society.  Those victims had been silenced because they saw how the world was falling apart, and became part of the vicious cycle. 

The next phrase is “Oh, this is the beat of my heart, this is the beat of my heart”.  At this part the beat starts to go faster, imitating an excited heartbeat. “The gnashing teeth and criminal tongues conspire against the odds” further supports my view that these people were considered “criminals” and were forced to hide in order to protect themselves.  However, they stayed firm in their beliefs and continued to pass knowledge on despite the obstacles.   And so, “they haven’t seen the best of us yet”. 

"If you love me let me go" refers to how a society should love their citizens and not want to let them die or be restrained.  “And truth be told I never was yours” exemplifies the strength of a single human mind refusing to be subdued and controlled. “The fear of falling apart” is one of the greatest fears known to human, and yet Urie wants his listeners to speak their minds and don’t conform to society.

“This is gospel for the vagabonds/ Never-do-wells and insufferable bastards” is again referring to those who were shunned because they caused trouble by not conforming.  An apostasy is a total desertion of or departure from ones' religion, principles, party, cause,

 etc. The lyrics “Confessing their apostasies” shows how they aren’t afraid to stand up for their beliefs, even if they are “led away by imperfect impostors”.  The word “impostors” symbolizes how the ones who captured the dissenters don’t know what they believe in, and just blindly follow the leader. 

“Don’t try to sleep through the end of the world/ Bury me alive/ ‘Cause I won’t give up without a fight” is Brendon Urie’s message to the people.  It shows the overall tone of the song: no matter what, be an individual.  Don’t be afraid to speak out, and don’t let your freedom of speech be taken away from you.    


P!ATD  is performing at the Hollywood Bowl along with Thirty Seconds to Mars on October 12th.  Get your tickets here http://bit.ly/MARSbowl13!!  If you can't make it then, you can find other tour dates and other information on their official website http:/www.panicatthedisco.com.







No comments:

Post a Comment