Monday, November 11, 2013

Jason & The Long Road To Love-Pray For You



I haven't been to church since I don't remember when
Things were goin' great 'til they fell apart again
So I listened to the preacher as he told me what to do
He said you can't go hatin' others who have done wrong to you
Sometimes we get angry, but we must not condemn
Let the good Lord do His job and you just pray for them

I pray your brakes go out runnin' down a hill
I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I'd like to
I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
I pray you're flyin' high when your engine stalls
I pray all your dreams never come true
Just know wherever you are honey, I pray for you

I'm really glad I found my way to church
'Cause I'm already feelin' better and I thank God for the words
Yeah I'm goin' take the high road
And do what the preacher told me to do
You keep messin' up and I'll keep prayin' for you

I pray your tire blows out at 110
I pray you pass out drunk with your best friend and wake up with his and her tattoos


I pray your brakes go out runnin' down a hill
I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the head like I'd like to
I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
I pray you're flyin' high when your engine stalls
I pray all your dreams never come true
Just know wherever you are, near or far, in your house or in your car,
wherever you are honey, I pray for you.
I pray for you


I have been reading Hamlet recently, and for those of you who have not already read the book, Hamlet is more of an analyst and as a prince, he is careful and clever.  Even though Hamlet knows that his uncle killed his father and married his mother, he waits for the perfect time to seek his revenge.  Rather than rashly going to murder his uncle for his greed and villainy, Hamlet patiently waits to drive out the snake in the end.  

In this song, he is using a holy method (praying) to cover up and excuse his malicious thoughts and intents.  Hamlet's uncle, Claudius, may have done something completely unmoral and corrupt, but Hamlet understands that he should first be subtle about this new knowledge before actually acting on it.


This relates to our daily life; even if you are frustrated or angry, it doesn't mean that rash behavior is acceptable.  Sometimes we have to step back a bit and not act on our emotions immediately.  It's okay to dislike someone and wish that karma ruins them, but there's no need to physically harm them in any way.  Mentally attacking them is better than physically attacking them (though by no means am I telling you to curse everyone who you dislike...).   As the lyrics say "Sometimes we get angry, but we must not condemn", we have to realize that other people might not be having a good day, so we can't just automatically classify them as rude or mean or disgusting, and then condemn them.  And besides, thinking about the evil ways you can get back at them will brighten up your mood without actually doing anything to them.  








No comments:

Post a Comment